Archive

Archive for April, 2013

Improved bodyfile support

April 26, 2013 3 comments

With more thanks to Jamie for the prompting, I’ve improved bodyfile support in the latest version of analyzeMFT.

  • You can now specify just a bodyfile for output and do not need to create a normal output file as well.
  • The real (not allocated) file size is included
  • If you use the –bodypath option, it writes out the full path to the file rather than just the file name
  • If you use the –bodystd option, it uses the STD_INFO timestamps rather than just the FN timestamps. I find STD_INFO to be more interesting….

This is a pretty significant fix and I would suggest upgrading if you create timelines with analyzeMFT.

Links:

Git: git clone https://github.com/dkovar/analyzeMFT.git
Code: https://github.com/dkovar/analyzeMFT/blob/master/analyzeMFT.py

Categories: analyzeMFT

Updated analyzeMFT – fixed MFT record number reporting

When I originally wrote analyzeMFT I assumed that the MFT record numbers would start at zero and politely increase by one for each record so “recordNumber = recordNumber + 1” would be valid. Happily, this worked, apparently for years. That is, until Jamie threw corrupted MFT files at it, such as MFT records extracted from memory.

  1. The sequence numbers had gaps
  2. If there was a gap, then the actual sequence number wouldn’t match the reported sequence number
  3. Determination of the file path might be off as the parent record number pulled from the entry might now point to the wrong entry

Oooops.

This has been fixed.

I also fixed the handling of orphan files, those files that had a null parent or whose parent was a file.

This is a pretty significant fix and I would suggest upgrading.

Links:

Git: git clone https://github.com/dkovar/analyzeMFT.git
Code: https://github.com/dkovar/analyzeMFT/blob/master/analyzeMFT.py

Categories: analyzeMFT